Drip irrigation is suitable for fruit crops, vegetable crops, oil-seeds, plantation crops, forest trees etc.Drip Irrigation system is extremely economical compared to alternative typical strategies, since a larger space may be brought beneath cultivation, associated provides an equal amount of water to all or any the plants even on slanted or undulating lands.
Many countries within the world has endowed heavily in massive reservoir and canal comes to harness the water flowing through the watercourse systems. But the potency of water usage from these irrigation comes has been miserably low, as a result of flow and evaporation losses.
The advantages of Drip Irrigation systems is that less water was accustomed irrigate crops, less was additionally lost to evaporation- a haul with flood-based irrigation. Weeding was lessened, the systems were considerably less labor-intensive and reliance on ancient fertilizers was reduced– since soluble fertilizers and medicines, can be delivered through the system.
Lastly, the crop was equally patterned and resulted in uniform growth. Of these, the best profit was the reduced dependency on labour, that was historically the maximum amount as of a farmer’s price, and that is in significantly acute shortage nowadays.
How it Works
The conventional Drip Irrigation may be a pressure remunerated system that ensures that the flow of water is equal everywhere the farm, right from the start of the pipes to the terribly finish of the pipes, each on low lying parts of the sector and on higher levels. This can be achieved through valves that restrict once the water pressure will increase (usually near the supply of water supply) and eases up once this pressure decreases (usually at the top of the pipe). A standard Drip Irrigation has tap Inlet water through that the installation is taken into the system.
- Adopting this technology could result in a 50 per cent reduction in water usage and improved yields.
- It improves nutrient efficiency and therefore brings down the input cost.
- It helps prevent yield loss if there is a sudden raise in temperature closer to the time of harvest.
- Drip irrigation adoption results in 50 to 100% increase in agricultural, horticultural production combined with almost 40 to 50% decrease in fertilizer consumption.
- With increasing pressure on water availability there is high possibility of using drip irrigation in field crops Organic rice and wheat.
- Since major components of drip irrigation systems are made of plastics and rapid developments are taking place in the plastics technology field, and it reduce the problem of plastic usage in daily life to certain extent.
- Micro irrigation industry in India has grown appreciably and there are more than 7 million hectares of drip and sprinkler systems installed in the fields.
- Normally around 50% financial assistance is provided to farmers for adopting micro irrigation(Like Drip Irrigation and Sprinklers) system by the state and central governments.
- Integration of Drip irrigation with major irrigation schemes will have the multiple benefit of increasing canal command areas at much lower cost as compared to creation of fresh irrigation projects.
- It results in a very high water application efficiency of about 90-95 per cent.
- Drip irrigation systems also are very adaptable to difficult soil and terrain conditions.